Super Bowls of Soup with Cuisine Unlimited
It’s a new year and we’re all looking forward to a new Super Bowl Championship. For some of us this can be the party of the season, maybe the first party of the new year. There are bound to be hungry boys and girls all over the place. Do you have your menu figured out yet? Maxine and her friends over at Cuisine Unlimited are putting together some tasty treats for the Salt Lake Home Show to inspire your taste buds! Check out this delicious Beer & Cheddar Soup with Bacon for a sneak peek of what’s to come.
Beer & Cheddar Soup with BaconINGREDIENTS:
• ½ lb piece of slab bacon, cut into 1/3-inch dice
• 1 celery rib, finely chopped
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 large jalapeño, seeded and chopped
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
• 1 (12oz) bottle lager or pilsner
• About 2 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup heavy cream
• ½ lb sharp yellow cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
• 4 oz smoked cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• Garlic Rubbed Toast – For Serving
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a bowl. Add the celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 8 minutes. Add half of the beer and cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Add 2 1/4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
In a small skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Whisk this roux into the soup until incorporated and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 8 minutes. Add the heavy cream, cheddar cheeses and the remaining beer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bacon and season with salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of broth if the soup is too thick. Serve the soup with garlic toasts.
**Make Ahead - The cheddar soup can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm gently and thin with additional broth.
For catering and cuisine inspiration, visit her online: http://www.cuisineunlimited.com/ New year, new recipes with Maxine and Cuisine Unlimited on the Kitchen Stage:
- Friday, January 11th at 5:30 P.M.
- Saturday, January 12th at 10:30 A.M.
JANUARY 11-13, 2019.
MOUNTAIN AMERICA EXPO CENTER